A delicious, cheap and easy vegan pizza recipe.
Preparation time: 20 – 25 minutes Cooking time: 15 – 20 minutes
Preparation and cooking time may vary depending on toppings, distractions and if you like to take photos (talking from experience)
- Pizza base mix
- Black pepper
- Tomato puree
- Vegan cheese alternative
- Vegan grated mozzarella
- 1 onion
- Brown sugar
- Plain flour
- Olive oil
- Avocado and chai seeds (optional)
- Mixing bowl
- Rolling pin
- Tray for cooking the pizza on
- Pan for cooking the onions
- Knife, spoons (tea and table spoon)
I love cooking delicious foods for a low price and this dish cost £10.26!
The costs: Tesco pizza base 60p, black pepper and parsley 70p each, tomato puree 50p, Violife cheese alternative £2.30p, Tesco free from grated mozzarella £2.50p, red onion 21p, Tate & Lyle brown sugar £1.40p and olive oil £1.30. Depending on brands and where you shop the dish could be under £10. These ingredients will last to make more pizzas!
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees (based on a fan assisted oven), prepare equipment and ingredients.
- Prepare the pizza base (the method will be on the back of the packet). When preparing the base mix, sprinkle in a pinch of black pepper and parsley, roll out the dough to form a circle (or your desired shape of pizza), place on a tray and fold the edges for a crust.
- Puree time. Use 2 tbsp of tomato puree and 4 tbsp of water (cold or room temperature). Mix together for a spreadable consistency, spread the puree equally around the pizza base (using the back of the spoon is my preferred method).
- Cheese, cheese and more cheese. Grate the amount of cheese you desire onto the base and then sprinkle on the grated mozzarella (the option to add more is in step 6 so hold back, or don’t!).
- Caramelise those onions. Add a tsp of oil into a small pan, dice the onions and place them into the pan. Add a tsp of brown sugar to caramelise the onions, mix and keep this on a medium heat for around 5 minutes (keep checking so they do not stick to the pan). Before placing them onto the base let them cool.
- Once the onions are on the base, this allows for more cheese! Sprinkle the extra mozzarella on until satisfied and place in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes. I advise checking the pizza after 10 minutes and then after a further 5 minutes and so on (timing could vary on how crispy you like your pizza and toppings).
- Optional: Add avocado and chai seeds on the side.
I love pizza and this is perfect for a vegan friendly night in!
Enjoy and let me know your thoughts or alternative methods.